Monday, November 16, 2009

Knowing Him...

“I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the LORD. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart.” Jeremiah 24:7.

One definition of the word know is to experience, be on familiar terms with and to live through. To know is to acknowledge something that is an absolute truth based on our experience. Knowing God is a reward from our pursuit and willingness to experience Him.

When our daughter Kristen was a teenager I would place myself between her and Bruce in an effort to maintain some control and harmony in the house. I wanted each to know the other in the same light in which I knew them with all of their wonderful attributes. I found out quickly that I couldn’t make one know the other as long as I was the bridge. It wasn’t until they began truly experiencing each other – the good, the bad and the ugly – that their relationship could take root and have a foundation for which to build. They enjoy a very loving and committed relationship as a result of spending time together, working through experiences together and sharing the ebbs and flow of life.

I can know of something but until I live in and through that experience I have no true ownership in that knowledge, just a vague image through the eyes of someone else’s experience. I knew of God because of the fellowship for which my parents and grandparents had with God. It wasn’t until I began pursuing Him for a more intimate relationship that I began knowing and experiencing Him. Experiencing God is the ticket to knowing Him and knowing Him is to knowing love firsthand.

We have all been given a heart to know Him but we must first choose to pursue Him.

No comments: