Saturday, November 21, 2009

Help Me....

“But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us. ‘If you can’? said Jesus. ‘Everything is possible for him who believes.’ Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, ‘I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief.’” Mark 9:24.

Few stories in the Bible are so short in words but long in truth as the story of the father who begged Jesus to heal his son whom had suffered his entire life being possessed by an evil spirit. It displays a hindrance Christian’s battle daily without evening being aware.

This poor father states a contradiction once his faith is put to the test. Christ basically explains that his son’s healing is only one belief away. The verse states that the father immediately claims belief but then sorrowfully realizes those are only futile words in his heart of hearts. He then asks for another favor from God – to help him overcome his unbelief. This must be accomplished prior to his original desire of healing for his son.

Unbelief is a crippling obstacle in the life of a Christian. We are no better than this dear father as we plead our case to God asking, crying out and longing for some type of deliverance. We asked to be delivered from exhaustion, a bad marriage, a grieving heart or some other type of suffering but do we really believe?

When I was 15 I had to have knee surgery requiring a leg brace for almost 6 weeks which covered my leg from mid-thigh down to my shin. Trying to move around created such awkwardness and cumbersome movement that everything I did seemed counterproductive and unsuccessful. It was one of the most frustrating situations for which I experienced as a teenager. I hoped healing would come but constantly lost belief that healing was going to come. The leg brace hindered me from the freedom I once knew.

Our unbelief is just as crippling as the knee surgery and rehab was for me. We know what we want to believe like this father but our actions state the opposite. This little verse shows our words verses our true belief. Our God is not a fickle God. When He speaks a promise we can take it to the bank. Anything short of experiencing His fulfilled promises is unbelief on our part that He is trustworthy in our situation.


Hope without belief is just wishful thinking but faith makes it a certainty. Belief breathes fresh possibilities into the impossible.

No comments: