Sunday, November 22, 2009

Higher Ways...

“As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts…so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.” Isaiah 55:9, 11, 12

This passage is a two-part promise that God gives us all as we relate to the changing circumstances of our lives. He begins comparing our understanding of Him to the relationship of earth to heaven. Planet Earth is only one small element of existence in a vast atmosphere canopied by Heaven and is only one piece of the larger picture.

Like the earth as it relates to Heaven, we too operate with limited understanding of the big picture in the heavenlies. God acts in our lives not in a vacuum but in a concerted manner directing different circumstances for the purpose of all. What He wills is going to be fulfilled whether we understand it or not. We will never understand all of the spiritual workings in our lives and how they relate to the Great Commission – bringing people to Him.

The second part of this beautiful passage is the promise of comfort in whatever He purposes in our lives. I remember when it was obvious Beth was not going to receive an earthly healing, while God didn’t explain the purpose He did lead me triumphantly into peace through a Bible Study. I felt Him say to me that losses on earth are critical to the Kingdom in accomplishing more in the eternal than in the temporary. No earthly loss of life is futile in the heavenlies. Our loved ones' presence in Heaven is critical in God’s divine plan and they have been specifically chosen by God. I remember as Beth lay there I told her that her work on earth was beautifully accomplished and that God was waiting on her to begin her eternal work. Her eyes showed a peace and understanding so I knew He was also touching her spirit with this knowledge. I was led into peace through that exchange of spirits and He has been bursting forth in song every since. I never thought I would be able to experience joy in grief, happiness in pain and comfort in chaos but it is what my God does best.

The key to this passage is allowing God to lead instead of allowing our circumstances to litter our way.

No comments: