Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Famished?

“Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.” Isaiah 55.2

Growing up I was always very insecure and felt as if I must do for others to receive their love and approval. This carried throughout my life and was an encompassing motivation for how I related to others. The approval of others was an insatiable beast that could never be fed enough. There was always an emptiness in the corner of my heart that nothing or no one could satisfy.

It wasn’t until almost four years ago that I began truly hungering for God developing such an appetite that I knew the only dish that would satisfy would be Him. I began nibbling on the Word, then eating upon its contents and now feasting on Him is a necessity in my life. It is the only thing that has permeated into that hidden corner of my heart and engulfed it with acceptance, approval and complete love.

The world attempts to offer appetizers as the main course so it is no wonder that we are always in a state of hunger for something else. An appetizer is defined as a “starter, nibble, a sample of something that is meant to stimulate an interest.” Why do we partake in the world’s appetizer when we can be fully fulfilled with the main course of the Bread?

I believe that everyone is born with some type of hunger and unfulfilled need that only God can satisfy. The earth holds nothing over this longing but only God holds the answer to the question of our hearts. So eat up! The fare you will be served will be like none other and you will never be satisfied with appetizers again!


Because it was He who created it is He who satisfies.

No comments: