Friday, January 15, 2010

The Fourth Man

“Then King Nebuchadnezzar leaped to his feet in amazement and asked his advisers, ‘Weren’t there three men that we tied up and threw into the fire?’ They replied, ‘Certainly, O king.’ He said, ‘Look! I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods.’” Daniel 3:24-25

One year ago in February I lived out this passage in my own life. My sister was dying, my dad’s cancer had progressed into the liver and my own daughter had to face the tragic death of her boyfriend. These were only three devastating furnace realities of six situations occurring in that season of my life. I could hardly breathe from the suffocating smoke and couldn’t see a foot ahead of me for the arcing flames. The Deliverer I knew spiritually could not be seen at the time but I sensed He was there. His presence was promised and His deliverance was inevitable.

One year later as I look back on that furnace I too can see that the fourth man was walking around in the fire with me. I can see how He was extinguishing the flames right before me allowing me to walk step by step. I can witness the clean air for which He was providing allowing me to experience this adversity breath by breath.

The three circumstances in that furnace that had the potential to bind me, burn me and destroy me were not successful in my demise. Instead of death the fourth Man gave me life and instead of captivity He gave me freedom. “No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you…Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:5, 9.

Do you see the fourth Man walking around in your fire?

No comments: