Saturday, January 16, 2010

No Smoking, Please!

“So Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego came out of the fire…the fire had not harmed their bodies, nor was a hair of their heads singed; their robes were not scorched, and there was no smell of fire on them.” Daniel 3:26b-27.

So, my parents came out of the fire, the journey of my sister’s battle with cancer and her deliverance from suffering into the arms of God. Their spiritual bodies had not been harmed but rather strengthened as they still believe that God is good and “in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28. The verse doesn’t say that we will agree with His purpose or that we even have to like it – we simply must both accept and believe it!

They have never worn the robe of anger but continue to clothe themselves in the garment of Christ testifying to all of His faithfulness, His love and His grace. There is not one bit of the scent of fire on them for they never picked up the scent of bitterness and resentment that their desire for my sister didn’t match that of her Father’s. They spiritually marched out of that furnace more resolved, more whole and more bound by their faith believing His purpose is higher than any earthly understanding and laying down any emotional agenda of their own.

The inspiration I have for my parents through this experience leaves me humbled and wanting more faith than what I possess. Some days I smell smoke in my own life regarding much less loss and less importance. To come through their fiery furnace with no smell of smoke is yet another way God still uses my parents to parent me. We are never too old to learn from those who love us and want the best for us.

The smell of smoke through our complaints, grumblings of our circumstances and desire to be viewed as victims will always overpower the fragrance of Christ is our lives.

Father, please help me be a smoke-free building!

No comments: