Sunday, February 7, 2010

Drink Offering

“For I am already being poured out like a drink offering… But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion’s mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.” 2 Tim. 4:6, 17-18

The other day I had gone to spend the night with my parents. As many of you are aware our dad is very ill with cancer. Yesterday he was placed under the care of Hospice but this will affect neither his spirit nor his actions. He is the Director of C.E.F., a ministry targeting the spiritual lives of children and bringing them to Christ. The other day Mother was dropping him off at the office because he was too weak to drive. I had followed her in the car and parked on the side of the street. As I watched him step out of the car the effort extended just to stand up and get his balance was heartbreaking. Once catching his breath and stabilizing his footing, with every bit of energy he threw up his arm to wave goodbye.

He cautiously took baby steps down the sidewalk as he tentatively made his way to the entrance of the building. The small amount of energy paled in comparison to the large amount of will in this man’s spirit to spread the message of Christ until he draws his final breath.

This is the pouring out of one’s self as a drink offering. Once again Scripture leapt from the pages of the Bible in true reality on that street and on that day. I will never forget this image of a man who believed this verse with every ounce of his strength, power and spirit.

May I have a fraction of Daddy's Spirit-focused life opposed to the flesh-focused life.

No comments: