Friday, February 12, 2010

Undercover Boss

“I am against the shepherds and will hold them accountable for my flock…I myself will search for my sheep and look after them…I myself will tend my sheep and have them lie down…I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy. I will shepherd the flock with justice.” Ezekiel 34:10-16

Although I haven’t watched Undercover Boss the concept is intriguing to me. The show is based on the head of an organization going undercover and interacting in areas of the business that would never come in contact with the owner/CEO. The purpose of his hidden identity in part is to understand the leadership of his organization and the interaction between the levels of employees. This show came to mind when reading this passage this morning.

Through this entire chapter of Ezekiel God continuously talks about His hands-on approach in leading the flock. Four times in this chapter God states, ‘I myself…” We can be assured that as one of His flock we will experience Him personally, not an agent of His, but the loving Shepherd who knows each sheep by name. He will never be an undercover Master trying to catch us in our sins, nor will He allow anyone to mistreat us. In this chapter His promises are clear as He shepherds over each one of us:

“I will look after my sheep…I will rescue them from all places…I will bring them out…I will bring them into…I will pasture them…I will tend them…I myself will tend my sheep…I will search for the lost…I will bring them back…I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak…I will shepherd the flock with justice…I will judge between…I will make a covenant of peace…I will bless them… I will send down showers of season; there will be showers of blessing…I will provide…” Ezekiel 34:1-31

By pursuing an intimate relationship with our Master, He will become more evident to us in our lives. Instead of wondering if the boss is going to catch us we will understand that the CEO of our lives never leaves us.

No comments: