Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Best Way

“The islanders showed an unusual kindness. They built a fire and welcomed us all because it was raining and cold.” Acts 28:2

When Paul and his men were shipwrecked from the storm many had to swim through the freezing waters. By the time they reached shore they were drenched from both rain and the sea. We can all relate to the bone chill of being caught in a storm in cold temperatures. The relief that comes from any warmth is something to behold and long for.

The Greek translation of islanders is barbaros which means ‘a barbarian.’ Paul and the men had a predetermined impression of what their situation would offer. For Paul to write that they were shown unusual kindness means that their expectation was the opposite.

Many of our past experiences define our expectations of future outcomes. I found this line in reality this past week. There is a relationship in my life that through the Holy Spirit I was led to point out obvious contradiction in actions that were leading her heart astray. Reasoning with this individual has had its challenges over the years and the repercussions are never pleasant. I was expecting a backlash from her within the days that followed our talk and must admit that my expectations were anything but warm and welcoming.

To my surprise, the islander showed unusual kindness and thanked me for pointing out certain possibilities for her to consider. I was unprepared for this response but sure did enjoy the warmth of the fire. History had left me cold and wet from past experiences with her but God can warm any heart and situation if we truly believe in His power and His workings. The last line of her letter stated, “I shall trust my heart from God to show me the best way.

What more can anyone ask of another than her closing statement. Our God is bigger than the most unreasonable situations if we only believe.

No comments: