Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Chained by Circumstances, Unchained By Grace

“This is my gospel, for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God’s word is not chained.” 2 Tim 2:9

The entire chapter of 2 Timothy 4 lends itself to realize Paul’s state of mind during his final captivity. In reading this chapter I find myself describing him as resolved that the season of extreme cold is approaching. I determine that he is lonely and feeling abandoned. Discouragement was his cellmate although Dr. Luke was also imprisoned with him. There was a frantic plea for any of his friends to come and be with him. He was reflective in past times of God’s faithfulness.

I can relate to feeling chained to my circumstances. I will not be ashamed in sharing my feelings with you as I search for relief from what feels like imprisonment. God’s word is active and trustworthy in our times as well as in the times of Paul. I feel you will be able to relate by applying either your past trials, present sufferings or future challenges. I find myself pleading for my old life to return to me. I restate over and over the ways in which God has rescued and delivered me from past deserts as if trying to convince myself. In the Bible, anytime I read ‘but’ which follows one’s dire circumstance I know it is an absolute from God. It is something for which I can depend and stake my life on. It is a truth for which I can chain myself to so tightly in belief and promise.

“Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you – guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.” 2 Tim. 1:14. As our circumstances guard over our lives preventing our escape, let us never lose sight of our privilege in guarding something much more important than what guards us – our gift of gospel and testimony that God has entrusted and assigned to us. The good deposit, I believe, is the gift God assigned to us to proclaim His message of love, deliverance and eternal life.

As I am chained by my circumstances I will praise God that I am unchained by His love and grace.

No comments: