Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Who Do You Serve?

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” Col. 3:23-24

Boy did this passage convict me in church on Sunday. There are things that we do in life that are fueled by our passion and drive us to accomplishment. Then there are things to accomplish that seem to lack any passion at all, but still require our attention.

Whenever something laborious is at hand I seem to lose my focus and procrastinate. We place a value of importance on certain things which is the gas in our engine. If we place a high value on something it will be easier to accomplish. The lower the value we place on a deed the longer it takes to complete.

If we were to approach any task as working at it with all our hearts for the Lord we might be able to find joy in everything. I know for me I become overwhelmed very easily these days caring for my father-in-law who suffers with Alzheimer’s. He is in the moderate to severe stage which creates many challenges for us in caring for him. Our human nature beckons us to think about ourselves and what is or is not happening in our lives. When I picture the face of Christ on this situation it allows me to picture accomplishing every task as if working for the Lord Himself.

When anxiety or overwhelming emotions overtake me I must remember to close my eyes, picture Christ and serve Him with all of my heart. There are two people for whom we serve…ourselves or our Lord.

Whom will we choose?

No comments: