Monday, May 17, 2010

God's Mother's Day

“Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.” Titus 2:4

I know that the Mother’s Day we observe has come and gone but when I read this I couldn’t help but to enjoy the thought of my precious mother all over again. We begin as little girls and boys but begin our journey of maturity very early in life. We look to the females in our lives for example, love and leadership. For some of us, we look to our biological mothers or the women for which our dads have chosen. For others, it is that aunt or grandmother who raised us. For my niece God has blessed her with a dad who has always had more of a maternal influence than the traditional dad.

For me, I was trained well! My mother showed me how to love my husband by the manner in which she loved my dad. She showed me how to love my children through the millions of ways in which she loved me. If I wanted to know the way I should act in any situation I only had to look as far as my mother to know what would be pleasing to God.

If someone hurt, she nurtured and comforted. If someone was discouraged, she encouraged and edified. If someone was in need, she provided. Many little eyes were watching her every move with scrutiny and examination. We were taking notice of the walk in which she professed for us and it always matched.

To malign is to criticize somebody in a false or misleading way. Any behavior or attitude that does not line up with the verse listed above will be charged to us as having the intent to harm God’s commands. God does not intend for us to take our role as women lightly and expects us to train the younger women in our lives with intentional attitudes in Christ. It matters not whether these women are our children, parents, friends, or colleagues we have the responsibility to exemplify these commands through our interactions.

To my mother, well done good and faithful servant who continues to serve and exemplify daily. You have lived out this verse in dedication and completion.

No comments: