Thursday, May 13, 2010

Midnight Mental Mania

“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me – put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.” Phil. 4:8

Yesterday we discussed ‘the most excellent way’ and this morning we find this word once again being used in the manner in which to live our lives. Paul was discussing the most excellent way being the ability to approach anything with love, thereby helping us stay focused on the higher way of living.

Last night at dinner Bruce and I were laughing at our midnight mental mania that steals our sleep and robs us of our peace. As the light diminishes the anxieties increase! The other night I laid there for two hours accepting how horrible my son’s life will be if he doesn’t apply for this job for which a friend of mine had guaranteed an interview. My mental mania went like this:

He had better apply today! He will never get a job! Months and opportunities are going to pass him by! I am going to be unhappy with this situation!

Then I proceeded to list the other things in my life for which are causing me anxiety. The cycle then takes on a life of its own and my brain feels as if it will explode in the dark. This passage is one I need to memorize for it is our armor against negative thinking. If we replace our fears and anxieties with the elements in this passage we will obtain the peace of God mania by mania.

The more excellent way is the Phil. 4:8 way. I will replace my fears with God’s promises. God is good, God is love, God always provides and God never fails. The next time you find yourself in mental mania ask yourself is this based on truth, does it consist of purity, and are my actions of noble character? Is this based in love and would Christ admire me for these thoughts, words and actions? Is He pleased for my level of trust in Him?

We must arm ourselves with everything available to approach life with a higher way of living.

No comments: