Thursday, May 20, 2010

When...

“I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.” Romans 8:18

Paul was speaking of his impending death. If anyone has ever suffered for the cause it was this man. We all have different forms of suffering as we walk this temporary life. This verse reminds me of the times in my life when suffering was my travel companion. Whether it was my daughter’s drug addiction, my sister’s whirlwind cancer experience or my dad’s steady cancer walk, suffering walked hand in hand with me.

In somber reflection, I can honestly say the words of Paul but in hindsight. So much of God was witnessed and experienced in each of my painful trials that the suffering that accompanied me is irrelevant compared to the glory shown. These reflections can be drawn upon when the next painful experience arises. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God… Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you.” Isaiah 43:2-4

We all have extremely difficult experiences in our lives. Some of our experiences beckon some of our deepest pain and require everything we have within us to simply exist. Some days the best we can hope for is to simply survive that day alone.

…and some marvelous day in that marvelous place when we are being shown in reverse the substance of our lives we will look into the almighty face of Christ and say, ‘What suffering?’

No comments: