Saturday, May 15, 2010

Even Though...

“I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service. Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.” 1 Tim. 1:12-14

I love the beauty of this passage. Paul was one of the worst persecutors of the Christians in the early church and never lost sight of his past. While he knew he was forgiven the knowledge of his need for repentance and dependence on Christ Jesus was ever before him. It is doubtful that many of us must claim that we were violent and persecutors of the followers of Christ but we can fill in the blank with our own inequities and need for repentance.

I know for myself I could say, ‘Even though I was once deceitful in my spending, I was shown mercy in my marriage.’ Another time in my life I could say, ‘Even though I was once claiming credit for good in my service, I was shown mercy despite my pride.’ Yet another time I could have said, ‘Even though I gossiped and repeated hurtful things, I was shown mercy in my relationships.

Whatever your ‘even though’ may be it will never be too big for God to forgive. True repentance of all things, both big and small, will always result in the outpouring of God’s best.

Even though I was once…I was shown mercy because…the Lord poured out abundantly.

No comments: