Friday, October 30, 2009

In His Presence...

“’But now, stretch out Your hand and touch all that he has, and he will surely curse You to Your face!’ And the LORD said to Satan, ‘Behold, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on his person.’ So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.” Job 1:11-12

There are many times in life when we feel like our access to God is blocked. We make excuses for the way our lives unfold and blame God much like the manner in which Satan blamed God. He explained to God that those like Job only live upright and righteous lives for their own selfishness. He exhorted that Job was faithful not because of his love for God but because of his blessings from God.

Obviously, God didn’t agree but did agree in allowing Satan to challenge Job’s faith. God had complete confidence in Job’s faith to Him knowing that a deeper relationship would emerge through his suffering. God has seen this emergence through suffering across the span of time since creation. As I have stated many times, “Suffering in the valley is when God does His best work!”

It brings me great peace to know from this story that even Satan has access to God in all of his evil and taunting ways. God, in His ultimate confidence and sovereign wisdom is not intimidated one bit by evil, chaos and the responsiveness of His children. If evil may approach God then how much more will He welcome me?

I remember last year when I was getting blasted from storms all around me I asked the sharp edged question, “Why…so much?” What I heard over and over again from God was in line with one of C.S. Lewis's answers when questioned about suffering. I leave this powerful statement with you to encourage righteous living.

"Why should the righteous suffer?" "Why not?" he replied; "they're the only ones that can handle it."

I could only hope that God could speak to Satan on my behalf with the same confidence.

No comments: