Saturday, October 31, 2009

Getting In the Zone

“Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me – put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.” Philippians 4:9.

Many of you know I love Bejeweled Blitz offered through Facebook. For those of you who do not know this game, consider yourself lucky for it sucks your attention and time away from things that are productive. It hooks you by an occasional awesome score but most times you score more mediocre. My son has always enjoyed on-line games and explained to me that the few times we score in an amazing way it is because we have “gotten in the zone.” We have practiced our skill at the game and fully focused all mind and attention to the most successful strategy known in the game.

The word “zone” means an area regarded as separate or kept separate, especially one with a particular use or function. I am intrigued with the word regarded as it refers to the state of our mind and heart. I regard my children and husband as precious and my relationship with my family paramount. When I am in the zone I am focusing on the things in my life for which I regard most valuable.

Our mediocre spiritual lives are much like these games. We approach God with a distracted and unfocused attitude of complacency and laziness. It is only when we develop that intense focus on Him, and practice all that He has taught and shown us that we are able to “get into the zone” and receive the total benefit from Him and the highest level of living.

Each of us can name at least one thing that trap both our minds and time distracting us from the important spiritual priorities of life. Each time we plant ourselves in front of the television hours upon end or slip into that computer glow daze, (ouch!) let us be reminded that time spent in futile play is time stolen from getting in the zone with Christ.

GET INTO THE ZONE!

No comments: