Sunday, October 4, 2009

Hearing God Through Sight

“Praise the LORD, O my soul. O LORD my God, you are very great; you are clothed with splendor and majesty. He wraps himself in light as with a garment; he stretches out the heavens like a tent and lays the beams of his upper chambers on their waters. He makes clouds his chariot and rides on the wings of the wind…He sets the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved.” Psalm 104:1-3, 5

King David spent many years as a shepherd which required him to be outside practically all of the time. His heart was bent towards God with an amazing love and passion to be so young. He had plenty of time to reflect on nature and the nature of God as he did his work and tended his flock. There were no audible voices spoken to him as he roamed around in pastures and looked towards the skies. But, through the enormity of David’s surroundings he was able to hear God through sight.

I can best hear God at the shore for it is where my heart lies. God uses the vast ocean and the span of the heavenly skies to speak to me. God speaks in every way and daily through His creation in ways we take for granted. I have grown up coming to the shore but never do I feel so small as when I am anticipating a sunrise. I never get use to that breathtaking view as I sit and watch with anticipation as if I am awaiting the curtain to be raised or an orchestra to play that first note.

Wherever we are and whatever we are doing God will speak through the things we see, the little girl picking a flower for her mother, the waves crashing upon the shore, or the woman who is assisting someone with a cane. He speaks as family members sit together awaiting their loved one to go to their eternal home and speaks as a baby enters this world.

Psalm 104 is one of the most beautiful images of God as seen through the eyes of David. Please take the time to read the chapter in its entirety. It paints such a powerful image of our God as Creator of this amazing universe.

We, too, can write our own Psalm as we open our eyes and “hear” all that the Creator wants to say to us.

No comments: