Saturday, October 3, 2009

Super Heros

“With my great power and outstretched arm I made the earth and its people and its animals that are on it, and I give it to anyone I please.” Jeremiah 27:5

As I opened the door to my daughter’s home the other day I was greeted by none other than Spiderman. Kristen had bought Carson his Halloween costume which he had not taken off in two days. I immediately got out my camera phone wanting to get a picture of him at which point he asked me to wait. He proceeded to stretch out both arms and suddenly confidence and pride overtook his face. You see, Carson had decided that he was only complete when he exerted his power – his arms which housed his web power.

Each of us has determined what we deem in ourselves as powerful, confident and our persona of strength. It is only when our power is put to the test and dreadfully fails that we get out of ourselves realizing that only God has the power to deliver us from our circumstances.

The rest of Carson’s story is similar to what God desires for us. As I was leaving Carson to go on vacation with Bruce, he began pleading with me to take him with us. After three attempts he realized that his circumstances needed drastic measures and tentatively and sacrificially stated that if I would allow him to come with us he would take off his Spiderman costume. In essence, he would surrender what he deemed as all powerful, all purposeful and all valuable in order to fellowship with us.

Bingo! That is what God desires most from His children. Surrendering whatever we determine in our lives is powerful making us feel confident and whole in exchange for intimate relationship and fellowship. Holding on to what we deem powerful will never stand up against the blasts of our storms. Whatever costume of power in which we dress ourselves will never be enough to accomplish our own desires. It will only be when we remove our persona of strength that God will dress us in His. Our Father is all powerful, all sovereign and all transcending who will stretch out His arms, draw us near to Him so we can access His power when dealing with our circumstances.

We will always find God’s power at the end of our surrender.

No comments: