Thursday, August 23, 2018

Making New Wine

But let your heart keep my commands…and your vats will overflow with new wine.” Proverbs 3:1, 10

Whenever I hear the word command I think of an exclamation point instead of a period...a shout instead of a whisper. I think of a list of rules made by someone else for the benefit of things or people I cannot see. I think of someone in greater authority with greater wisdom. But this morning I’m seeing a more tender image for this word and His name is God. Sure, some of His commands are instructions to make a better world. Do not murder…Do not lie…Do not steal…Love others despite how they treat you. But what about those tender encouragements where we are commanded to be brave…to walk in courage…to believe that God is in control of our circumstances. What about those precious promises that He will never leave our side…He will never fail us…He will give us comfort and rest, turning our sadness into joy…Through our pain He is making new wine.

There is a song that just stops me in my tracks when the piano begins. Its melody sings the promise that ‘in the crushing…in the pressing…You are making new wine…I came here with nothing, But, all you have given me...Jesus bring new wine out of me.’ New Wine, Hillsong Worship. I recall several seasons where my circumstances crushed my heart and soul. All my body wanted to do was sleep, and all my mind wanted to do was worry. I was crushed in spirit, body and soul and felt completely depleted on most days. It wasn’t until I began pressing into Jesus that I could feel new wine being made of my circumstances. He slowly and tenderly ‘commanded’ me to have hope. His whispers echoed that I would be a new creation…I would find freedom where I had once been imprisoned…I would no longer pursue useless things…all new wine.

I’m sure there are some of you who have been crushed by the news of something. Are your circumstances pressing in on you squeezing the life out of you? God promises rest, renewal and redemption if we will press into Him. He has a heart of reconciliation and orchestrates all the details of our lives. But life can be a hard journey, and hearts certainly can be broken. But when we take what is pressing in to us and press in to Jesus our seasons will overflow with faith, encouragement and hope. He will make new hearts out of every situation and our testimonies will flow out of our suffering.

If Jesus turned water to wine, He can certainly turn our tears to overflowing hope...new wine. I pray this song will soothe your soul today and give you hope.



No comments: