Friday, August 17, 2018

To Daisy With Love

Yesterday when Bruce was in the attic looking for some documents, he brought down some things that had been up there no doubt for many years. It was fun looking through some of the scrapbooks I had made as a teenager. I found my baby book that Mother had filled out over 55 years ago, written in hurried pen as she was probably squeezing it in between diaper changes for Becki and me. As I was putting it back in the box a class picture fell out when I was 6 or 7 years of age. Throughout the night I kept remembering my face in that picture…so innocent…so hopeful…so full of dreams. But even then, I was searching for my own identity. Even then, I remember feeling like I had to remake myself, so I decided to change my name. I told my family, teachers and even my principal to please use my new name when speaking to me. I went to the store, chose a large round piece of wood the size of a small football. I bordered the edge with glue and wrote Daisy with the glue tip in the middle, covering it with colorful glitter. When I lifted it up and turned it on its side, the excess glitter fell onto the newspaper and my new name emerged…Daisy. Fifty years later as her eyes met mine in this picture there are some things I wish I could have told her. In that spirit I find myself wanting to write a letter to her this morning.

"Dear Daisy, as you stand there surrounded by your classmates, I want you to know that first and foremost you don’t have to work for love, you already have it. I want to assure you that everywhere you go in life, God walks right next to you. Please do not be in a hurry to grow up, for life can feel like a bee sting or like that jelly fish that stung you. I would encourage you to linger in your bedroom every chance you get and play with your dolls as long as you would like. Your bedroom is your world where safety and security are your playmates. I want you to know that your value is determined by God and not by the fickleness of the world. Be kind and gentle to everyone because life is hard, and pain is sometimes silent. You will probably experience some failures but through them you will gain wisdom so don’t despise the mistakes. Always use your experiences to build up others instead of hiding them. It just might be the difference between despair and delight. When you are grown, and life seems unbearable open your Bible, soften your heart and take God at His word for everything. Enjoy every drop of love with your mom and dad, sisters, husband, children and grandchildren for they will be your life until the end. I must go for now but always wear your smile in your heart first since your outer appearance will always be determined by your inner heart. Love, Brenda"

What would you say to your 6-year-old self?

No comments: