Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Save the Date


The Lord isn't really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed but wants everyone to repent.” 2 Peter 3:9

I presently have the privilege of serving on our 40th high school reunion committee along with 16 other wonderful classmates. It’s been both fun and rewarding to meet and reminisce about our childhood experiences. As our work progresses the discussions are so thoughtful in preparing for the big day. Everyone on our committee has the same desire…to provide an incredible event where every class member can come and fellowship together. The committee is working tirelessly trying to find each person, not wanting anyone to miss out. We sit around the table discussing ways in which we can locate everyone, along with plans for that anticipated celebration. It is shaping up to be a fun time with good food, great music and hopefully tons of dancing.


This morning as I was thinking about our committee I was wondering if heaven is hosting the same planning meetings. I can just picture saints and angels filing in the room as Christ has saved them a seat at the planning table. But this planning session is for each of us who has their own reunion day on the calendar. In my imagination and through my curious eyes, I peek into the room and tune my ears to the conversation. I hear plans of a future day, the feast that they are preparing for me, and the music that is being chosen according to the songs I love. They are making a guest list for my celebration…my grandparents are coming…my dad will make a speech…my sister will be in charge of flowers since she has such a wonderful green thumb. There will be gatherings of aunts, uncles, cousins and friends who will form a welcome line. And then, I will turn around and there will be the face of whom I’ve longed for…and my faith will be my sight. He will ask for the first dance and the music will be a symphony I’ve never before heard, and of course He will lead.

I don’t know what day my celebration is scheduled for and I don’t know what day on the heavenly calendar marks your name. But I’m so glad that we all have a Save the Date notice kept in the Bible to remind us that this is not our home and that perfect things and awesome celebrations are up ahead. The event planners of above will not rest until every person has been found, and every heart has been given the opportunity to RSVP.

No comments: