Thursday, August 9, 2018

Spiritual Sleepy Heads

The Mighty One, God, the LORD, speaks and summons the earth from the rising of the sun to where it sets.” Psalm 50:1
Yesterday morning my granddaughter Kherington had spent the night with me since were leaving the next day for our Emmons' family vacation. Her mom told me to wake her up around 7:30 so we would ready when she came and picked us up. I walked into the dark bedroom, flipped the closet light on so her eyes could better adjust and walked over to her side. She was sleeping so well…so peacefully…so beautifully and I gently patted her back and whispered, ‘Get up sleepy head, it’s time to get going for the day.’ As she slowly turned towards me her little eyes tried to adjust to my silhouette. Finally, a smile stretched across her face and she embraced the day.

This morning as I sat in the dark on my screened porch at the beach I felt like I saw the same scene between God and the sun. The skies were dark with little slices of light as the sun tried to adjust to the darkness. It took almost an hour for the sun to fully open its sleepy eyes and embrace the day. Finally the sun stretched its beautiful smile across the sky. I couldn’t help but to draw a spiritual parallel of my life and how I waited so long to awaken. For almost 45 years I was a spiritual sleepyhead, going through life not fully awake. I’m so grateful that in 2006 God patted my back, and continued to whisper, ‘Get up my little daughter, it’s time to fully embrace life with Me.’ Once I had finally adjusted my eyes to the Light I was able to navigate through some dark times without stumbling. He provided the Light I needed, and never did He fail to lovingly and faithfully guide.

I don’t know what darkness you are walking through but the only way to have the Light in which to navigate is by adjusting your eyes to the One who gently whispers to you. He is calling you to awaken, to adjust your eyes on Him and He will walk with you through this season. He will never leave you in whatever you face today…tomorrow…forever.

The day looks like it’s going to be beautiful and the sun is fully awake and smiling upon the earth. In God there is nothing to worry about today. He has commanded nothing but good for the sun and He has commanded much more than that for your life and for mine. Just wake up, sleepy head!


No comments: