Friday, August 17, 2018

Tattered Hearts

I have set the LORD always before me; Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will rest in hope.” Psalm 16:8-9

When our son Michael was a toddler he wouldn’t go anywhere without his teal blanket. From the moment his big brown eyes opened each morning until the moment they drowsily closed his little fist clung tightly to it. As soon as he fell asleep I would sneak in his room and gently maneuver his fingers from around the blanket, so I could wash it. The blanket was bound with a silk border which he constantly messed with it until the silk separated from the thermal fabric. I always knew that wherever the blanket was Michael could also be found. It brought him such security and it rarely left his right hand. Even on the beach with 90-degree temperatures he would climb up on my chair, lay on my chest and cover us both with that blanket. Those precious memories between a child and parent…the seeker and the giver…the one who adored and the adorned. I still think about that blanket with all its holes, stains and faded color, no longer bound by silk. Love, hope, comfort and security were what held his blanket together.

This morning his blanket came to mind when I read this Bible verse about setting the Lord always before us and always at our right hand. The second image that came to mind was my Bible that I used during the past years of heartbreak and intense fear. Just like Michael’s blanket my Bible has lost its binding around the edge. During those years I grabbed it constantly, feverishly turning its thin pages, drenching its ink in yellow highlight, claiming things that I had no idea whether they would ever come true. Hope, comfort and promise were woven through my Bible then and still are today. I know that the day cannot begin without my hands clasping the beautiful Word of our beautiful Father. He has a lot to say to us and His Word is the mirror that reflects His character. To completely understand the depth of love and promise that He has for us we must pull up a chair and enjoy the stories in the Bible of the child and the Father…the seeker and the Giver…the one who adored and the Adorned. We cannot truly know God without understanding His history and His character. Everything that is, was and will be were spoken into existence by the same One who wishes to speak to you through His Word.

"For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do." Hebrews 4:12-13.


A tattered heart can be redeemed through a tattered Bible. I'm living proof.

No comments: