Friday, July 6, 2018

Eating Dessert First

Then his wife said to him… ‘Are you still holding on…’? But he said to her, ‘Should we accept only good from God and not adversity?’” Job 2:9-10

Being born into a loving Christian family I knew nothing about suffering and everything about love. I knew great truths about God’s goodness and faithfulness through the example and testimonies of my grandparents and parents. I believe deep down in my heart even as a child I was aware that I had received something glorious through my birth without having to earn it. This consideration was highlighted this morning in my Bible study as Lisa Harper described the dilemma of receiving and expecting only good things from God. She writes, ‘Accepting only the good from God is like eating dessert first.’ She goes on to say that when we learn to accept everything, (the yucky vegetables and the bitter medicines), that sifts through the sovereign hands of God, only then will we understand the joy in all times that serves as God’s inextinguishable pilot light.

I remember as a young adult when the world began chipping away at my protective kingdom, I thought it was strange and began wondering if ‘I had eaten all the dessert up front’ that was intended for me. Was my life going to become a string of vegetable plates and forced food? Looking back, I believe I began a life pursuit of trying to earn back dessert. I have finally learned that contrary to the question above that Job’s wife inquired, that to accept the adversity along with the good IS my 'still holding on'. By holding on to God’s promises I know that my adversity will produce gain one day. By holding on to God’s faithfulness He will build a heart in me of complete trust. By holding on to God for dear life during the times of anguish He will show me how to help others hold on.

I pose that question to you this morning. Are you still holding on? Are you holding on to the hope of a new relationship…a new job…newly restored health? Can you testify to the acceptance of God’s good and perfect blessings, but also embrace the adversity life forces upon us interrupting our calm seasons? We cannot hold on to the bitterness, nor can we hold on to hopelessness, for these are the things that extinguish any joy we find in God. The Bible is clear about two things: ‘To whom much is given, much will be required’ (Luke 12:48.)" "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:33). And these verses are the real desserts in our lives. We have been given much, and God desires us to use what He has given to further His Kingdom and proclaim His glory. It’s what we were created to do. Whether we’ve had easy lives or challenging lives, we all have been given the same ‘much' in Christ. When we feast on Christ…eating dessert first…than we can eat the rest of the meal served to us with joy and satisfaction.

No comments: