Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Weary of our Woes

Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone…Rejoice, and men will seek you; Grieve, and they turn and go. They want full measure of all your pleasure, but they do not want your woe.” Solitude, Ella Wheeler Wilcox

When I was knee deep in despair during one of my children’s prodigal times each passing week seemed to usher in less phone calls, fewer lunches and awkward conversations when running into friends and acquaintances. I found myself barricading my life in my home, wanting ‘to avoid the eyes who screamed pity, and the overheard whispers from many.’ I completely understood it, but it compounded my grief. My painful season went for 9 years, with an ebb and flow that went between forced smiles and downright despair. I am confident others became weary of my woes!

Humanity was never meant to solely carry our burden of grief. We are neither equipped for the long haul, nor meant to mend the brokenhearted. We must take the depth of our suffering and lay it at the throne of the One who can actually heal our hearts…restore our lives…resurrect our situations. God knew exactly what He was doing when He included question after question, allegation upon allegation in the Bible from suffering people. David cried to Him during his deep despair. ‘Why do you hide in times of trouble, O LORD?’ Psalm 10:1. Habakkuk pleaded with God while waiting for deliverance for his people. “O LORD, how long shall I cry, and You will not hear…and You will not save?” Habakkuk 1:2. God is the only one who can take our questions, and He can handle our pain and suffering. The Old Testament is full of grieving hearts who were brave enough to approach God in complete honesty. I don't remember the exact quote from Zig Ziglar in Confessions of a Grieving Christian, but the jest of it was 'God cannot heal what you do not take to Him.'

It takes courage to speak our honesty and disappointment to God. It takes faith to know that He will still love us. It takes time and patience to watch Him work out every detail with wisdom, love and faithfulness.

No comments: