Friday, July 13, 2018

Quite Safe

Aslan is a lion- the Lion, the great Lion." "Ooh" said Susan. "I'd thought he was a man. Is he - quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion"..."Safe?" said Mr. Beaver ... "Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you.”― C.S. Lewis, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

When I read this today I immediately thought of several precious people who are going through devastating things in their lives. We have lived long enough for each of us to understand that this world is full of sin and inequities. We each have received a phone call, a text, or had a discussion where the news shattered our hearts. What do we do when this world draws a line in our spiritual sand creating a division of life before and life after. The tension of living in the 'in between' is the messy, scary, heartbreaking journey that leads us to the other side. It is where we must make a decision where God is safe enough to trust with our emotions and outcome. We enter our circumstances one person only to come out a different person. Who we surround ourselves with during these times will determine how we will respond and who we will become.

Honestly, there have been times when things drove me to my knees that made me wonder if it was safe to trust God. To trust that He was good, I had to admit that things would probably feel ‘unsafe’ for a while. I had to trust that who He claims to be is unchangeable even if my circumstances were changing at rapid speed. I had to trust that His promises were true. He will not leave me – He didn’t. He will turn evil to good – He did. He will be with me in my times of trouble – He was. I have found even when it didn’t feel safe, He was ‘quite safe.’ Not only was He safe, but He was King over every heartbreak, over every impossible situation and over every season. We can’t control our circumstances which are sometimes brought on by our rebellion or the rebellion of others. We can control with whom we will spend our time during the ‘was and the is.’ God will shoulder our burden if we place it on His back, and will reconcile things that we have no clue how to reconcile. It is our responsibility to believe that He IS safe…He is good…He is the King.

No comments: