Monday, July 16, 2018

Let the Worshipers Arise

…so, the king asked me, “Why does your face look so sad when you are not ill? This can be nothing but sadness of heart” … ‘but I said to the king, “Why should my face not look sad when the city...lies in ruins, and its gates have been destroyed…?” Nehemiah 2:2-3.

I can remember it like it was yesterday...sitting at my daddy's funeral. I glanced around and saw my mother as she was absorbing every word of the pastor as he recounted my dad’s life. I was overcome with sadness for her and wondered how life would be especially for her without him. The loneliness…the empty mornings...the quiet nights. I had such a deep sadness of heart for her. As beautifully as the preacher spoke, I still felt like our family lay in ruins…the leader was missing…the family fragmented. But God never allows our hearts to hurt more than we can handle. At that moment the recessional began and I stood up thinking a million ‘how’ questions regarding our future as I was turning to walk down the aisle. As I looked up and began moving, God answered a million hows with one answer. I exited the worship center looking back and forth from my left to my right. The 'hows' were standing as we were walking out. God's 'how' included my beautiful friends and family from long ago to now, and every time in between. Their faces expressed their love and faithfulness to us. As they stood for us the words of the song became the comfort of the Father. It was a beautiful reminder that God’s presence and comfort lives in those who stand with us and beside us. It was a much-needed reminder that His compassion would be shown in the hearts of those who would be there after the funeral. It was His answer to my prayer and my plea.

I don’t know what sadness of heart each of you are facing today, but I do know that if you lift your face, and search for God on the horizon He will be faithful. You will hear Him in a song that speaks to your hurt and comforts your heart. You will see Him in a sunrise as a reminder that a new day is coming. You will consider His kindness as you witness His sunset, marking off one less day in your suffering. You will feel His gentle Spirit in a breeze on your face. You will see the sons and daughters rise to lift you up. These are all the graces of God when we hurt. Sure, we’re looking for a miracle in our circumstances, but what if a miracle is made up of a million miracles of God’s touches that brought you through your season of suffering? I will leave you with the words of that beautiful song God sang over me as we walked out of the worship center.

Father, I see that you were drawing a line in the sand, I want to be standing on your side holding your hand. I want your kingdom to come and live in me, this is my prayer, this is my plea…Let the worshipers arise, let the sons and the daughters sing, I’m surrendering my all Lord, I surrender to the King.’ Phillips, Craig & Dean, Let the Worshipers Arise


No comments: