Thursday, July 12, 2018

Reckless Love

“If a man has a hundred sheep, and one of them gets lost, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountain and go in search of the one that is lost?” Matthew 18:12

When our children were very young we were at the beach with some friends. It had been a wonderful day and the weather was beautiful. I had taken the older children up to the rented house, while Bruce remained down at the beach with our 4-year-old daughter, Caroline. I remember Bruce telling the story that he took his eyes off her for a minute and looked up to find her gone. He scanned the beach and saw her running down the water’s edge chasing birds. He quickly ran towards her as she ran away from him. Not much time passed when he caught up with her and scooped her up. They returned to the house and joined the rest of us.

This morning I was listening to a beautiful song by Cory Asbury, Reckless Love. It is a gorgeous hypnotic song that lures us in to a similar snapshot of walking away. It is a story of the little sheep that wanders away, and the loving shepherd that chases it down, scoops it up and returns it to the other 99 sheep. I began thinking of different times in my life when unintentionally I found myself all alone. I wasn’t even aware I was lost. I didn’t mean to wander off from the others, but life engulfed me with responsibilities, obligations, distractions and the overwhelming needs of others. But in 2006, I glanced up from the chaos and realized I was the one who had left the 99. It wasn’t long before God appeared at the water’s edge motioning me to lay down the chaos and join Him in the calm. He longed to give me what I longed for most…rest…intimacy…rescue… true purpose in Him.

Are you the little child at the water’s edge who hasn’t even realized until now that the things you have been chasing are leading you away from the contentment and joy that can only be found in the arms of Jesus? Have you found yourself exhausted…overwhelmed…unimpressed with the life you have designed? Have you chased unhealthy habits to cope? I have chased so many things in my life that once caught were meaningless…empty…unable to satisfy. There are still many things on my heart that requires God’s gentle touch but I’m thankful that I am back in the fold. There is plenty of room for everyone to come home, and the Shepherd’s arms extend far and wide. What are you waiting for? The 99 are waiting for you to come back.

There's no shadow you won't light up, mountain you won't climb up coming after me...there's no wall you won't kick down, lie you won't tear down coming after me...oh the overwhelming, never ending, reckless love of God. Oh, it chases me down, fights till I'm found, leaves the 99." Reckless Love


No comments: