Thursday, March 28, 2019

Before the Storm

I was reading my Bible study this morning and the heading was Grace to Trust Him More. The author wrote about her sister drowning and the prayer she heard her dad lift by her sister's side committing her back to God. I felt my eyes tear up because I could relate as I watched my mom and dad do the same with our sister near the end of her battle with cancer. The author’s words regarding her moment cannot be expressed more beautifully so I will allow her to speak to the testimony of the most powerful trust we can have in God. The trust in God when our prayers aren’t answered…the trust that He will be our strength and our comfort…the trust that God will carry us through all things. ‘Becoming stronger happens before the bad news comes. My dad’s trust in God gave him strength long before the day my sister died. On the day of her death, when his heart was crushed, the truth was revealed. What we all saw was a man who trusted God with his whole heart. Trust proceeds strength. A fully surrendered trust allows the strength of God to be manifest in us.’ Stronger, Angela Thomas-Pharr, p. 87.

Trust proceeds strength…those are very powerful words that give us some insight as we watch how others walk out their overwhelming circumstances. Fully surrendered trust means not allowing a devastation to define us. Fully surrendered trust means not allowing a decision to consume us. Fully surrendered trust means letting go of a dream to pick up God’s dream for us. I don’t pretend that it is easy to develop a kind of trust that propels the kind of strength needed for disparaging times. Trust that proceeds strength takes practice from one adversity to another. Life provides the backdrop for schooling in this spiritual discipline but what is the alternative for us? Is the alternative of resentment or paralyzing fear better than the choice to practice trust when the storm is raging? Is the alternative to live like a victim instead of a victor which is promised by God? Not that it was easy to watch Mother and Daddy in my sister’s experience, but it was a blessing for my spiritual growth to see their trust in God exemplified well. I can only pray that my children and grandchildren will someday see my faith in full bloom as I saw my parents.

I know that life has forced many of you into facing things you never dreamed you would have to face. I know that most of you have traveled from adversity to adversity. But I’ve watched you and I’ve been blessed by you and I am compelled to tell you to keep on practicing trust…keep on moving in faith… keep trading your weakness for God’s strength. ‘When we trust Him, God makes us stronger…As with most spiritual disciplines, learning to trust God takes practice. That means you begin to intentionally practice the action of trusting God with things you don’t understand…settle yourself with God…get alone with Him…get on your knees if you want…tell the Lord you are intentionally choosing to trust Him.’ Stronger, p 89. There is a calm and peaceful eye in the middle of every storm. It is the eye of God that is with us and trust in Him is what gets us to that place of peace and strength.

"You keep him [or her] in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.  Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD GOD is an everlasting rock.' Isaiah 26:3-4.


No comments: