Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Royally Destined

I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live…Do you believe this?” John 11:25-26

This morning my Bible study was entitled Death and Dying which wasn’t exactly what I wanted to consider at 6:00 in the morning. But it was my focus for the day and so I write. More than likely most of you have experienced an impactful death of a family member or friend. Even as I write and you read this, someone is coming to our mind. I cannot remember a time when I have known so many people to lose loved ones in such a short period of time. I find it odd that I always use the word ‘lose’ when talking about our loved ones who have arrived in Heaven. The word ‘lose’ seems misplaced on this subject because every one of our precious loved ones are probably Christians, so we know exactly where they reside. ‘And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and welcome you into My presence, so that you also may be where I am.’ John 14:3. I suddenly realized why I use that word…it is because we are the losers, not them. We lost something very precious to us, but only temporarily. The only things our loved ones lost were a decaying bodies…sinful hearts…lives that sometimes taunted pain and suffering. I read a quote this morning that is very powerful if we look at our grief from the standpoint of our loved ones. ‘Death is not king, and the grave is not the destination. God is stronger than death and stronger than the fear of death.’ Stronger, Angela Thomas-Pharr, p. 81.

I love the thought that I am walking a parallel life with my loved ones with only a thin veil between the two divides. I love the spirit connection that God provides wherein my memories are almost my realities. I love the truth that every arrival in Heaven is the perfectly orchestrated journey that God took them on. I love the image of my loved ones casting their crowns they earned on earth right back at the feet of the One they love most. I love that ‘death is not king, and the grave is the not the destination.’ I’m excited that they are already setting up house at the place where I am going. And what did I have to do to receive all of this for eternity?…Believe…that is our only part. Believe that because Jesus died we will live. Believe that God has a perfect plan for our lives on both earth and in heaven. Believe that every word and every promise given by our Father is steeped in truth. Believe that we are not residents of this world but only travelers passing through it. Believe that we can tease the grave, ‘Where is your victory?’

There was a woman who was diagnosed with an incurable disease and given 3 months to live. When asked how she maintained such a positive spirit, she gave a powerful piece of advice which I’ll never forget. ‘Keep your chin up and don’t go to the funeral – mine or yours or your loved ones – until the day of the funeral because you will miss the life that you have left.’ When we took our first breath, we began as royalty and because we believe we are destined for the Kingdom.



No comments: