Friday, March 1, 2019

Waiting on Crowns


Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.” James 1:12

Well today is March 1st and for our family this month holds two important memorial markers in our family.  Two weeks from today it will be a decade since I’ve laid my eyes on my little sister, Beth.  For those who didn’t know her, I’m truly sorry because she was one little high-spirited soul who squeezed every ounce of living out of each day.  For those who knew and loved her no doubt a smile and giggle have found its way in your heart just now thinking about the crazy things she did.  Two weeks from tomorrow will mark 9 years since I heard my sweet daddy tell me he loves me.  For those of you who knew him you just might be a better person for it and quite possibly inspired by him.  He walked this earth with integrity on every level, with a heart for bringing children to Jesus.  His work in Child Evangelism Fellowship placed many unchurched children into the lap of Jesus.  They both went through the trials of cancer, both walked tough journeys.  They both walked their trials with grace, faith and complete dependency on God.  They had tough days and good days…discouraging days and encouraging days…sad times and joyful times.  But now they stroll the golden avenues of Heaven with a crown atop their precious heads.  The promise was clear from the Lord, Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.’ John 14:21. He went on to promise, ‘When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come to pass: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.” 1 Co 15:53. And then the promises of all promises, ‘Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe in Me as well.  In my Father’s house are many rooms.  If it were not so, would I have not told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and welcome you into My presence, so that you also may be where I amJohn 14:1-3.  And that is exactly what He did…just as He promised…just as they were…just as we are.

The older I get the more heaven-minded I become.  We were never meant to live here forever since this is not our home.  We were created by His precious hands into an hourglass life, each of us with a certain number of grains of sand.  But we were not born to die, but rather to live…to really live…eternally… perfectly…in community with God, the saints and our crowned loved ones.  Beth and Daddy ran their race and crossed the finish line and walked up the podium steps as the King of Kings placed their crowns on their heads. 

One day I will break the ribbon crossing over my finish line and will finally begin living in the fullness of face to face communion with the Promise maker.  Death has certainly been swallowed up in victory… now that’s real living!


No comments: