Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Lowering Our Mats


Some men came, bringing to him a paralyzed man, carried by four of them. Since they could not get him to Jesus because of the crowd, they made an opening in the roof above Jesus by digging through it and then lowered the mat the man was lying on. When Jesus saw their faith… he said to the paralytic, ‘I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house Mark 2:3-11.

I was so blessed to be led this morning to this beautiful story that I haven’t read in some time.  It is the perfect timing of our perfect God who is faithful speak through His word.  As I wrote yesterday it is tough for us not to get disheartened from the many needs of people all around us.  We see our loved ones and those we care about in need of all kinds of healing.  We want to do something to help… anything…but most of the time the most powerful and beneficial thing we can give them is prayer.  We like the friends in our story want to present them before Jesus in prayer and petition.  We place those friends and family members in need of Jesus on our prayer mat and lower them before His feet.  We intercede for those who may be too discouraged or too sick to approach Him by themselves.  There are great blessings from God when we take the time to approach God with the needs of others.  Our story testifies that Jesus was blessed and moved by not only the sick one but those friends who carried and lowered their friend in front of Jesus.

I know times when my friends and family carried me on their prayer mat and walked many tough miles with me.  They lowered me through the opening and placed me before the feet of Jesus.  I know that without those intercessions of love I would have felt all alone. 

Whether you are one carrying the prayer mat to Jesus or the sick one being carried to Him just know that God blesses the journey and hears our petitions.  One of the most important elements of this story is the fact that the blessings weren’t given at a distance.  We will never receive the embracing comfort from afar.  It is only when we approach the Savior and enter into His presence that we will feel the absolute faithfulness of God. 

‘We never draw closer to God when we just live life; it takes deliberate pursuit and attentiveness.’ Francis Chan



No comments: