Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Being Rooted and Established

“And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge – that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.” Eph. 3:17b-19

I love my rose bushes and the beauty and fragrance for which they provide to me throughout the year. When I originally planted one of them I was fearful it wouldn’t make it since I have never had a green thumb. I planted it as a baby bush according to the directions and left a little of the dirt ball exposed. I cut into the thin roots and gently pulled them apart to ensure greater success in absorbing the water required to help the bush thrive. Years later that rose bush is very tall and produces the largest roses I have seen with a wonderful fragrance. As it ages, the fragrance gets stronger and the roses get more beautiful.

Such is the same with our relationship with Christ as we experience Him in our lives. We are planted as baby Christians with some parts of our self exposed while other parts are securely tucked away and protected in Him. When we plant ourselves deep in the rich soil of the Word we align our growth to be rooted in truth, established in love and be the conduit for His power to produce amazing bouquets of blessings and fruitfulness. As we mature as Christians we get on-going nourishment and saturation with His water ensuring constant and healthy growth. We are not immune to His pruning as we are cut back through our trials but have the endurance and strength on the branch to stay rooted and established as an important part of the total growth.

It is only through our planting of our total heart in Him that we may access the power and the fullness of God in our lives producing a beautiful fragrance.

No comments: