Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Kiss Is NOT Just a Kiss

“If an enemy were insulting me, I could endure it; if a foe were raising himself against me, I could hide from him. But it is you, a man like myself, my companion, my close friend, with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship…” Psalm 55:12-14

Betrayal goes back to the beginning of time and will span future generations. This passage was the anguish David was experiencing when he realized that his close friend, King Saul had betrayed him and was trying to kill him.

Betrayal is one of the most difficult pills to swallow and hurts more than anything that our enemies could ever dish out. For me, I endured betrayal after betrayal from my daughter who was being held captive by heroin addiction. On the flip side, I betrayed my husband’s trust when I secretly mounted up debt earlier in our marriage. I am sure everyone has had some form of betrayal that has shattered hearts.

Christ experienced the ultimate betrayal when Judas gave Him that incredulous kiss on the Savior’s cheek. Judas premeditated and sought out the plan to betray Jesus, his close teacher and loving companion. “From then on, Judas watched to hand him over.” Matt. 26:16.

These words brought chills to the back of my neck this morning so I ask myself as we go into this Christmas season, “Do we betray Jesus without realizing it?” Do we plant that kiss on His name by holding grudges against others, being unforgiving and selfishly seeking our own will? Are we holding grudges against others for their betrayals as we carry our Bibles high?

It is easy to lose sight of the fact that Jesus was the recipient of such a betrayal that the cost was His life. We may be betrayed in this life but it will never be as great of cost as what our sweet companion in Christ paid. When He lost His life on earth on that cross all sins were swept away including the betrayal of Judas.

Christ Jesus, please help us to be imitators of You instead of initiators of unforgiveness.

No comments: