Monday, December 7, 2009

"I Do"

“My lover spoke and said to me, ‘Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come with me. See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land. The fig tree forms its early fruit; the blossoming vines spread their fragrance. ‘Arise, come, my darling; my beautiful one, come with me.’” Song of Solomon 2:10-13

Although Bruce’s actions after 25 years together show me his love for me I cannot picture him saying these words to me. I find it hard to believe any spouse would say these words to their beloved after so many years together. (It does make me smile to picture the words coming out of Bruce’s mouth in my mind!)

This morning after 48 ½ years Christ still speaks these words to me in such a tender way through Scripture. He knows the winter I have had and rainfalls that have drenched me. He brings me flowers each day through His blessings and I can sense the fragrance of His emerging presence.

Christ is that lover of unconditional love for each of us and for His eternal bride – the church. He wants His bride to know that even in the cold and rainy seasons He will burst forth with flowers of blessings, singing songs of joy over us and satisfying our deepest desires when we are living in His land – His will. He calls to us with His tender spirit extending His arms like a groom as He welcomes His bride.

How can we pass up this offer and not take our place beside Him?

No comments: