Saturday, December 12, 2009

Losing Our Heads

“But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all duties of your ministry.” 2 Tim. 4:4

How hard is this! How many times a day are we tempted to speak our minds and say what is on our hearts? It doesn’t matter whether there is justification or not, I know God expects me as a Christian to carry out His commands. The word discharge means to carry something out, to complete a duty, responsibility, or promise successfully.

I have promised things to God that will enhance, build and further His mission but those same promises are sometimes threatened by my attitude, my thoughts and my actions. It is so easy to feel justified in our emotions and in our entitlements.

We all are expected to be evangelists for God and we all have our own specific ministries for which God has placed in our hands for the benefit of others. Previously, we have seen very public ministries be destroyed through mismanagement and misappropriation along with other malfunctions of the heart (as I like to call them). Satan’s #1 job is to destroy the ministries for which we are called. We will never be put in a situation wherein God will not provide a way out. He is the Afforder of freedom – not the preventer of freedom!

Satan will always offer his counterfeit of freedom by convincing us that we deserve, are entitled, are justified...but know that his offering doesn’t last beyond today. Another definition for discharge is “to pay a debt in full.” I love this definition since we owe Christ our life in return for Him giving up His.

As we live in and live out our ministries let us not discredit them by losing our heads but rather enduring the situation knowing that "...the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed…the Lord will rescue me from every evil attack.” 2 Tim. 4:17-18.

No comments: