Sunday, December 13, 2009

Two Cups...One Choice

“For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me.” John 6:38

“’My food,’ said Jesus, ‘is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.’” John 4:34

“My Father, if it is possible may this cup to be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.” Matthew 26:42

In a world where we seem to always be running from something or towards something, I can’t help but to think of how our example approached life on earth. Christ spoke throughout the New Testament about His one constant goal on earth – to do the will of His Father. These were not the mere words of a mere man but a man’s total heart surrendered to the authority of God- no aspect of His life was off limits. Jesus was sent to exemplify the manner in which we should walk and was not just some character in a story. His walk paved the way and provided a manual of how to live victoriously on earth as a shadow of what we can expect in the eternal.

His complete surrender afforded Him total access to God on earth even in suffering, fear, anguish and despair. He chose to drink suffering over not doing the will of His Father. His desire and love to accomplish God’s will outweighed His desire and will for Himself.

We all have a destiny for ministry during our short time on this earth poured specifically for us to drink. This drink may sometimes be bitter but will always nourish and fulfill its purpose. There will always be two cups on the table, one which God asks us to drink and one that we pour for ourselves.

Which cup will you reach for?

No comments: