Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Listen Up!

“Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness and who seek the LORD: Look to the rock from which you were cut and to the quarry from which you were hewn…The LORD will surely comfort Zion and will look with compassion on all her ruins…Joy and gladness will be found in her, thanksgiving and the sound of singing…Listen to me, my people; hear me, my nations. My righteousness draws near speedily, my salvation is on the way, and my arm will bring justice to the nations.” Isaiah 51:1, 3-5

I don’ know who I exhaust more – myself or God! You readers unfortunately are victims of my lessons as God “continues to work out my salvation.” There is one relationship in my life that spans 25 years that requires more work on my part than any other I have experienced (no, it is not my sweet husband). Once it gets reconciled something else will occur that takes me right back to my ruins - that place of deadness, bitterness and nothingness. It erects stones of resentment and beckons me to once again do the work required to forgive, forget and love again (which I can only do through Christ alone.)

My biggest hang up about this situation is my desire to see justice served and consequences experienced which is none of my business. I feel that God is constantly pounding the gavel when dealing with me saying, “I will have order in this court!” He tells me three times in this verse to “listen to Him and really hear” which indicates He is trying to get my attention. He wants me to recognize that only He will bring justice to all situations and for me to believe, to trust and allow Him the right to rule!

Why is this ruin so difficult to walk away from as I pursue righteousness and seek Him in every aspect of my life? I know that my concern should be the manner in which I am responding to this instead of the manner for which I wish Him to respond.

If I am not experiencing joy and gladness even in my wastelands, my ruins, I am not trusting Him to rule. I know He will help me get this right as I work out my salvation and am so grateful for a Savior that doesn’t save us once but keeps on saving.

Thank you Father for continuing to have compassion in my ruins.

No comments: