Sunday, December 6, 2009

Here Comes the Bride

“I remember the devotion of our youth, how as a bride you loved me and followed me through the desert through a land not sown.” Jeremiah 2:2

Remember when we first married our spouse? Everything seemed sweeter, everything seemed more joyous and everything seemed exciting! We had each other’s undivided attention and adjusted our desires according to what the desire of our spouse was for that day.

Bruce would always take me to the movies knowing how much I loved that and I would always help him with projects even if it meant crawling under the house with him as he put in a french drain system. I can only imagine the look on my face if he approached me with that request 25 years later as I sit in my recliner watching television – I don’t think so, stallion!

The same is true with our relationship with Christ. The Bible describes us as brides preparing for our Bridegroom as it relates to the anticipated intimate relationship between us and Christ. We are to prepare ourselves for Him as He receives us as His bride only to lavish His unconditional love and protection upon us. This marriage of two spirits will span over the course of our lives and must be kept alive and passionate just as required in our earthly relationships.

Christ asks us to follow Him anywhere He leads and to trust that His desire for us will never be harmful to us. He will never ask us to go where He is unwilling to go ahead of us to assure we will be completely prepared and protected.

We must recapture that early passion and excitement of knowing our Bridegroom and passionately following Him to the ends of the earth. So get your veil, adorn yourself and let that sweet music begin!

No comments: