Wednesday, November 3, 2010

He Changes Seasons...

“Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are his. He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and disposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning.” Daniel 2:19-21

It seems I am always proclaiming my favorite book of the Bible only to change my mind based on my circumstances. I consistently seem to vacillate between my favorite books based upon the revelations and applications revealed. Through Scripture, I receive certain truths in my circumstances providing wisdom for that particular season. One of the absolute truths that I have adopted in my spiritual arsenal is the promise of seasons being temporary. I have been in a five year season of intense medical family issues requiring patience, endurance and heartbreak. This has seemed less like a season and more like a lifetime.

This passage is good news for me this morning as it reveals essential truths providing present hope and sustaining faith. It affirms that I am to praise God first apart from my circumstances, acknowledging His ultimate control with sovereign wisdom and power. It follows up with the comfort that time does not stand still and our seasons are temporary. Scripture continues with the truth that God is the authority over all authority. He decides both political and spiritual leadership and the length of time they will serve on our behalf. (This is great news after yesterday’s election with balance brought back in alignment.) This passage ends on the promise that we can be privy to His wisdom and knowledge by being wise and discerning through our pursuit of God.

This book denotes one ordinary man acting in extraordinary ways to further the message of his Savior. His Savior of yesterday is our Savior of today and the Savior for my grandchildren. ‘Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.’ Hebrews 13:8.

Did I tell you that Daniel is my favorite Book of the Bible?

No comments: