Monday, November 8, 2010

Immeasurably More...

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work in us…”Ephesians 3:20

Yesterday when I was taking Bruce to the airport, I was telling him about my last conversation with Daddy the Sunday before he was taken home. Bruce encouraged me to apply this story to our relationship with God. As many of you are very aware, Daddy and I shared a passion for the Duke Blue Devils. (Please don’t quit reading Tar Heels!) The Sunday before his passing, we watched the ACC Tournament as we had many years before. Duke won the title that day but I received so much more. As I prepared to leave Daddy realizing he only had a day or two I reached down and kissed him, telling him I loved him. He was very weak and he smiled, grabbed my hand and shook his head. At that moment I became the five year old little girl who needed to hear from her father the words ‘I love you.’ I whispered in Daddy’s hear that I needed to hear it and with every ounce of strength he whispered the words back to me. As I was about to turn and leave he squeezed my hand and said it a second time. This exchange breathes life into the above verse as I relate to my heavenly Father.

We come to our Father with our most intimate needs and ask as if there may be a chance we wouldn’t receive everything we need. We approach Him with such a limited scope of what He can provide. There have been so many times in my own life when He has given so much more than I asked. There have times when my worry and fretful thoughts discounted the peace I could have found in the truth of His power. ‘in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you…and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead…’ Eph. 1:19-20. The strength and power that is available for me is the same strength and power that penetrated into that lifeless earthly body of our sweet Savior and rose Him to His beautiful spiritual body. The power is ours for the taking if we will pursue God through Christ will all of our passion and zeal.

Ask Him to tell you He loves you and see how many times you are told.

No comments: