Sunday, November 7, 2010

Into Him

“Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.” John 14:21

A few years ago a movie came out entitled He’s Just Not That Into You! I never saw this movie but have heard lines out of it over the years. It is the secret heart message that we as Christians sometimes feel when we think God is silent. We see Him working in the lives of others and witness His activity in their circumstances. In some of our circumstances, we secretly feel that we are not loved as much as we need to be by our Father, and that His wisdom is sparingly dispersed. We subconsciously feel that He is just not really into us!

This lack of belief in a God who is love is contrary to the beautiful promise above. We each qualify for this agape love from both the Father and Son. In order to have His commands we must get to know how He feels about everything through pursuing Him. Through knowing Him, we experience this love creating a passion to obey. Christ is our love proxy to God who loves us freely through His Son.

There are certain things we must settle up front or our faith will falter when the tough times come. 1) God always operates from a standpoint of love. That is His nature and He cannot be anything apart from love. Any emotion towards God that ‘feels’ contrary to love comes from Satan. 2) God is all-knowing. He arranges our present situations based on our future needs. 3) God will equip us with everything we need if we stick close to Him.

Suppose you had to cross a field full of land mines and a person who knew exactly where each one was buried offered to take you through it…I would stay as close to that person as I could. I certainly would not wander off. His directions to me would preserve my life. He would say, “Don’t go that way, because that way will kill you. Go this way and you will live.” That is the purpose of God’s commands. He wants you to receive life and have it abundantly. When the Lord gives you a command, He is trying to protect and preserve the best He has for you…When God gives a command, He is not restricting you. He is freeing you.’ Experiencing God – Knowing and Doing the Will of God, p.76.

He really is into you!

No comments: