Monday, November 29, 2010

Sweetly Broken

“Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated…Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things…Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect harmony. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts…It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” Colossians 3:13

I needed to hear this exhortation this morning. I have wrestled through the night with my flesh focusing on justified rights and resurrected disharmony. I returned to the flesh in my mind and heart resurrecting former emotions and wallowed in them through the night. This morning I awoke exhausted, battered and bruised emotionally. In the midst of my swirling emotions Christ beckoned me back to the base of the cross this morning. He gently reminded me of His suffering, His undeserved persecution and His sacrifice. Through His words I have been ‘sweetly broken and wholly surrendered.’

We all face sharp emotions feeling justified in our attitude when focusing on the things of this life. We allow despair in our trials to replace our hope in a resurrection. We allow past hurts to determine whom we will love. We allow bitterness to clothe us instead of the garment of love which we are afforded through the death of Christ. We must return to the base of the cross and remember…

No situation in life will ever parallel the sacrifice and death that Christ endured for us. I must look at the example of the cross to gain my hope in Christ. He sacrificed it all for those who are unworthy. He paid the highest cost for the lowest of man. He died so we might live. He rose from the dead to show the hope for which we can live through Him. He received the fulfillment of the promise from His Father – sitting next to Him and receiving it all.

This is the King for whom we serve no matter what we are called to do in this life. If we are feeling death, we can be assured of life. If we are feeling sacrifice, we can be assured of blessings. To sacrifice is to gain and to die to self is to live...it is the way of the cross.

‘…sweetly broken and wholly surrendered.’

No comments: