Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sweet Dreams

“At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon during the night in a dream, and God said, ‘Ask for whatever you want me to give you...’ ‘So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong…’ The LORD was pleased…So God said to him… ‘I will give you a wise and discerning heart…Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for – both riches and honor…’ 1 Kings 3:5-10

This exchange between God and King Solomon is full of examples of a heart bent towards God. I love how this exchange began through the night as God appeared to Solomon in the darkness. God was present when Solomon was sleeping and came to him with a request for blessings. Solomon was only 20 years old when he became king to the throne and knew his limitations. When asked what he desired from God his response was the blueprint for our desires. He first acknowledged that God was his master and he was God’s servant. Secondly, what he desired for himself was for God to equip him in the manner for which he could be highly effective and righteous in his service to God. He thought not of what the worldly treasures could hold, rather what was good for God’s work. The last principle that I love in this passage is that if we are asking for the things relating to God’s work He will give us so much more.

In my own life I have seen this principle in action. I asked God to heal my daughter’s drug addiction – I received three grandchildren in addition to His healing. I asked God to help me edit and finish my grandmother’s book – I received my own writing ministry. I asked for God to heal my heart after my first marriage – I received a wonderful life partner with whom I share a Christ-centered marriage. The common denominator for all of these blessings has been a ‘Christ-first pursuit’.

God desires to bestow wonderful and amazing blessings on each of His children just as we enjoy giving our children the best we have. If we will approach Him with a heart of servitude and love, trust His will and provisions for the purposes for which we have been called, our desires will align more closely with His agenda for our lives. He will give us so much more than what we could ever imagine.

Pursue Him and enjoy sweet dreams!

No comments: