Saturday, November 13, 2010

Standing Firm

“The LORD foils the plans of the nations; he thwarts the purposes of the peoples. But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations.” Psalm 33:10-11. “Many are the plans in a man’s heart but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.” Proverbs 19:21

I love the definition of the words foil and thwart. To foil is to prevent somebody from succeeding in something; to obscure the trail in order to hinder pursuers. Thwart is to frustrate something thereby preventing somebody or somebody’s plan from being successful.

I have a wonderful example of this verse and I have praised God frequently for Him intervening and ‘thwarting’ my plan. Years ago when I had secretly mounted up thousands of dollars of debt, the opportunity arose for my husband to be transferred to Australia with his company. Along with that move would be a substantial amount of money for relocation. At the time I handled all finances (hence the chaos!) and knew that I would be able to pay off a big chunk of the debt with that check. I prayed and prayed that God would allow this move to happen. I never prayed for His will but begged Him to allow my plan to succeed. My motivation was so displaced from the will of God and I am so thankful that He ‘frustrated my plan.’ I was going down a trail that He ‘obscured and hindered.’

Not only did He command me to confront my fears and unconfessed sin with my husband but He also protected our family. Bruce’s company did not win the bid to go to Australia and within 6-9 months the chosen company was displaced from the job. Bruce most likely would have been displaced and out of a job. Praise God that He thwarts the purposes of His people and that ‘the LORD’s purpose prevails!’

Looking back and realizing our plans that the LORD did not allow are as important as remembering the ones He did!

No comments: