Sunday, November 14, 2010

Holy Interpreters

“The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.” 1 Co. 2:14-15

When I was 15 years old, I had the privilege of going on a school trip with a group of students who took French. We had a great time for the most part but I will never be able to forget one experience in particular. I was walking through a department store up a flight of stairs when three men in regular street clothes approached me. They began speaking fluent French and unfortunately I couldn’t understand them. I realized they were angry, anxious and accusing me of something. They pushed me up against the wall and grabbed my sweater out of my hands. It wasn’t until another shopper who spoke both English and French was able to explain the concern of these gentlemen. They were undercover policemen accusing me of shoplifting using my sweater to hide the items. Once they grabbed my sweater and realized nothing was under it they apologized and departed. I was a nervous wreck the rest of the day and was eternally grateful for the interpreter.

The Holy Spirit acts as our spiritual interpreter in our relationship with God. We travel through our lives making decisions and creating circumstances that may not be in our best interest. Without the aid of the Holy Spirit to lift certain truths regarding our lives, we could be approaching life blindly and unable to ascertain God’s message. The more we allow the Holy Spirit to guide and instruct us we more we will be able to understand the beautiful language of God. He definitely speaks another language, one that is ‘too lofty and wonderful for us to understand.’ We must carry within us that beautiful spiritual interpreter who will softly impress His love language on our hearts and minds.

When we are allowing the Holy Spirit the full flow of God we are all speaking the same language.

No comments: