Thursday, November 18, 2010

Lady in Waiting

“I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.” Psalm 40:1

I have had the privilege of leading Griefshare at our church over the past two months. We have all come together as strangers but were quickly united as one through our suffering. Griefshare continues to be ‘a firm place to stand as God placed our feet on this rock.’ I cannot describe grief in a more appropriate manner than a slimy pit, mud and mire. Walking through grief is like walking through quicksand with maximum effort and minimal results. The important part is that we keep on walking.

Several of the members’ spiritual lives have been ‘fanned to flame’ right before my eyes. It has been a transformation of peace in their actions and words. God used the wait of the grief journey to grow them into the spiritual beauties He intended. He allowed painful circumstances to enter their lives forming a dark cocoon. He heard their cry in the wait and is dawning a day for the emergence of these spiritual butterflies apart from their circumstances.

Last night in Griefshare I heard a statement that sums up the spiritual transformation that will emerge if we wait patiently on the LORD in all circumstances trusting Him. May this statement bless you and encourage you in your wait…I know it has in mine.

“The Biblical view is that waiting is not so much about when I will get what I’m waiting for, but what I will become as I wait.” Dr. Paul David Tripp

No comments: