Friday, March 12, 2010

Crown of Life

Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life.” Rev. 2:10

I brought baby monitors to Mother and Daddy’s this week so we could hear Daddy call if we were not it the room. Our dad continues to decline and was moved to a hospital bed in his bedroom for easier movement. We had a rough night as every two to three hours he was awake with certain needs. We were exhausted and when morning came the night stretched out into the day as we kept the house dark and tried to get some sleep.

Mid morning I heard some whisperings in the monitor and pulled it to my ear in case I needed to go back there. What I heard will always be one of my greatest treasures. Through Daddy’s labored breath I heard him praying to God and thanking Him for His blessings. I heard him lift Bruce’s name up and Bruce’s dad up for strength. He prayed for me as caregiver and whispered how happy he was. This sacred prayer uttered at the brink of death will always remind me of this verse.

The Bible states for us to encourage and pray for each other “and the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up.” James 5:15. I cannot think of a better person to receive this crown for his faithfulness.

The legacy of our dad lives in example through this prayer as he prayed with some of his last breaths to a Father who he knew could satisfy and comfort the needs of others. Every day Daddy remains on this earth is another day Heaven is polishing his crown.

Oh, how Daddy’s crown will sparkle!

No comments: