Sunday, March 14, 2010

No Sting

“When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: ‘Death has been swallowed up in victory’…Where, O death, is your sting?” 1 Cor. 15:54-55

This past week as I approached the Hospice House with my dad, I dreaded the thought of being there on this particular weekend. It was this past Friday one year ago that I whispered in Beth’s ear ‘Sweet travels, I love you and I will see you again one day.’ It was obvious that I would be bidding farewell to one more member of my family. I anticipated and braced myself for emotions that never came. God parted my emotions just as He did the Red Sea and allowed me to walk on dry ground undrenched.

This is our Savior at His best! He holds back what He knows we cannot bear and He provides what He knows that we need. There is no sting in Beth’s death this weekend, for death is only death to this world – nothing more.

God carries all of His children so that we are immune to the devastating degree of pain which we should be experiencing. The closer we fellowship with God the more we allow Him to carry us across the raging seas of life.

Where, O death, is your sting?

No comments: